Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Search for True Love

We closed Domestic Violence Awareness Month with Women’s Second Start domestic violence shelter celebrating the survivors they have served, and acknowledging staff and volunteers at a conference with former residents as the keynote speakers.  Here are some excerpts from one survivor's poem:

A Search for True Love
What is true love?
. . . Violence? Verbal Abuse? Physical and Mental Abuse? 
Having your self esteem . . . brought to nothing?
And then later on hearing the words, “Am sorry.” “I didn’t mean it.” “It won’t happen again.”
"Baby you know I love you."

Where do we find . . . true love?
. . . Our friends?  Family? Spouse?
And our abuser?
We may think that’s where true love is.

How do we find . . . true love?
. . . By first sitting down and evaluating ourselves.
Then we can stand strong and say, “I’m beautiful and I deserve better for myself.”

No comments: